FAQ – Frequently asked questions
- Which virtualisation software is supported?
Currently three VMware products are supported: vSphere, ESX/ESXi and Server 2. I test against v4.0. v5.0 is also supported since 1.27 (readonly though). I have reports that 3.5 works too, but I cannot confirm them.
Please note that on ESXi free the snapshot/power commands are unsupported.
- Do I have to make any special settings to the host?
Yes. Since vSphere 6.0 VMware disables the Managed Object Browser by default. This is needed by Virtual Viewer. See the VMware KB article to see how you can enable it.
Previous versions do not need modifications.
- Can I use non-root users to log in to ESX?
Yes, but you need to assign permissions to the user to at least read-only (as you would need to allow the user to connect to the web interface or use the VI client with your host). See VMware documentations on how to create local users and how to assign permissions.
- Virtual Viewer always fails to connect (Android 2.2)
Please make sure you’re running at least version 1.0-5, previous releases did not work correctly with Android 2.2.
- Connecting to a VMware Server fails!
Check the following versions: Virtual Viewer needs to be at least 1.0-8 and VMware Server needs to be version 2. You may also need to adjust the connection settings in the preferences (and disable HTTPS).
Virtual Viewer Power Addon
- What is the Virtual Viewer Power Addon?
Together with Virtual Viewer it enables you to power on, power off, reset, suspend a VM and to shutdown or reboot the guest os of a VM. The Addon is an optional component!
- Is the ESXi free edition supported?
Yes, since 1.34 the free edition of ESXi is supported.
- I installed it but I don’t get any power options? #1
Please check if you have the necessary Virtual Viewer version: 1.0-9.
- I installed it but I don’t get any power options? #2
If the host of the VM is in maintenance mode you won’t get any options. Exit maintenance mode and you will get the options.
- Selecting power/snapshot commands doesn’t do anything (using v1.38)
Please update to the latest version, v1.39 currently.
Virtual Viewer Snapshot Addon
- What is the Virtual Viewer Snapshot Addon?
Together with Virtual Viewer it enables you to take a new snapshot, revert to the last one and to remove all snapshots of a VM.
The Addon is an optional component! Since v1.27 of Virtual Viewer, the addon functionality is now builtin! No need to download the addon anymore.
- I installed it but I don’t get any snapshot options? #1
Please check if you have the necessary Virtual Viewer version: 1.0-11.
- I installed it but I don’t get any snapshot options? #2
Depending of the state of the VM or the host you may not get any snapshot options. You may want to check with the official client.